Wednesday 7 August 2013

Beach huts and boxed bottoms!!

Last week I whipped up a summer holiday tote with the beach hut canvas I picked up at
Duxford spring quilt festival.

I incorporated one of my charity shop finds, a stripy canvas that co-ordinated so well with the beach hut fabric that quite frankly it would have been rude not to!

I realised that our family holiday was only a couple of weeks away so I got a move on and made it over the course of a day.

The original plan was to make it with a waterproof lining to accommodate soggy towels and swimming costumes. But, I spotted this simple tutorial over at Made for a reversible tote and decided to give 'reversible' a go.

The Stripe and Beach hut canvas work so well together!


I highly recommend the tutorial, it was easy to follow, had relevant hyperlinks and clear photography. I will definitely be checking out more of the tutorials over at Made.

Here's the result.






I favour this side as I like having the two rows of beach huts. I neglected to take a decent pic of the reverse, but essentially it consists of the stripe fabric for the main body with one row of beach huts beneath.

I boxed off the bottom which was surprisingly easy to do and gives a much more professional finish.





I've used it a few times already. My non sewist friends couldn't believe it wasn't shop bought which was very flattering.

The remaining fabric is earmarked for a matching drawstring tote with the originally planned waterproof lining.  I just need to pick up some lining fabric - but I'm off to Festival of Quilts tomorrow so no excuse there!!

3 comments:

  1. ooh, ooh, I've got some of that and your bag looks so lovely in it I might shamelessly and slavishly copy you !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, have a lovely time at the festival of quilts. I cannot go, but I think I used up my allowance of indulgence for this year, already!

    Maybe next year..

    Love your tote. And, yes, those boxed bottoms are easy, once you get them under your belt, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you sell any of your products on Etsy or any other online store?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. All comments are greatly appreciated and were possible replied to. Please don't spam my blog - I'm currently moderating all comments to stop this. Thank you