Saturday 10 August 2013

Festival of Quilts Part I: The Exhibition

Yesterday, I made the trek across country for the opening day of this years Festival of Quilts at the NEC in Birmingham. It was my first visit to the FoQ and I was interested to see if it lived up to it's press.

Guess who I found myself walking and talking with from the car park? The lovely and unassuming Ann Rowley; winner of The Great British Sewing Bee. A very nice start to the day.

Ann couldn't have been more pleasant and she didn't even mind when I asked if I could take her picture. I snapped the shot in a hurry and the background of the NEC map is a bit unfortunate but it's  still a beautiful picture of an inspirational lady.



Ann Rowley



Essentially, a day isn't enough to fully appreciate the all the exhibitions and peruse every stand. So, with no particular purchases in mind I decided to wander at random and be led by my eye.

Here's a small selection of what caught my attention. I only had my iphone with me so the photo's don't really do justice to the art.

I'm sorry I don't have artist credits for all the pieces, so please jump in if you know.

Loving Alicia Merrett. Check out her website.



Alicia Merrett - loosely based on a Elizabethan map of London in 1572



More Alicia Merrett - this time an imaginary map called "The Night Road"








The work of the New Horizons Textile Group







Ditto





Just Stunning!



Close up









Me want!





Very Steampunk



Kaffe Fassett - we must stop meeting like this!




All calm and empty just before doors close.



Part 2 tomorrow with the all important purchases!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. All comments are greatly appreciated and were possible replied to. Please don't spam my blog - I'm currently moderating all comments to stop this. Thank you